Veggie growing guide
Last chance to sign up is Saturday, March 1st!
Garden Hut Customer Membership Cards are only available during the month of February. The membership cards are valid through January 31, 2015. For only $100 per household, Members receive savings of 25% off purchases for a year. The discount applies to regularly priced merchandise for one year; some exclusions apply.
Call us or click here for details.
Early spring trees, shrubs, and perennials are arriving weekly. To keep up with what's blooming this spring at the Garden Hut, follow us on facebook for photos and plant info!
New products arriving daily
More new spring flags! Great selection of St. Patrick's day, Easter, and other spring-themed flags in garden and standard sizes plus all the accessories to display them. We have several styles of monogram flags including the Floral Scroll design.
New line of USA made windchimes, plant stands, and whimsical yard stakes including our always popular kinetic windmill spinners and new garden and home decor wall art. Other US made products include Parasol Hummingbird feeders, windchimes, all hand-tuned and some styles even have wood from NC, Garden Works Soil Scoops, and Wild Delight Bird Feeders --very economical. Locally-made PVC ornate bird feeders and houses too.
Fresh! Our first cool season vegetable transplants have arrived.
Seeds for all kinds of garden goodies still in good supply. Now is the time to start transplants indoors and you can direct sow lettuce, cabbage, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, spinach, mustard, kale, onions (sweet), seed potatoes, strawberries, garlic, and asparagus crowns directly into the garden! We also have some fresh bulk seed.
Speaking of fresh, fruiting trees and small fruits are now available.
Blueberries, bunch & muscadine grapes, blackberries (thorn-less), and raspberries plus fruiting trees like apples, peaches, figs, persimmon and more.
Check out our Sprouting Trays!
Day two of our seed sprouter pictured. So excited to have mung beans, alfalfa sprouts and radish that should be ready to eat in the next two days. Grow your own healthy toppings for sandwiches and salads! SO EASY!
Call 919-552-0590 or register on our facebook page.
Saturday, March 22nd at 11am
Carol Stein's Gardeners Forum "Vegetable Gardening"
Slash your food budget by learning to grow your own seasonal vegetables. $10 registration fee includes some starter plants, and potting soil for container gardeners or organic compost for in-ground gardeners with a bonus dollop of organic fertilizer.
Saturday, April 26th at 11am
Fairy Garden class
Fun & interactive. Join in with the hottest garden craze -- can be done indoors or outdoors! All ages can participate and play. Many are calling it Fairy or miniature gardening. I like the name Tiny Gardening or Tiny Town. Cute little plants are available as well as garden kits or even individual items such as bikes, benches, gazing globes, stepping stones, moss, and so many items you already have at home. Join us for the fun. You'll get hooked! Bring your own creative container and we'll help you plant it after class. Free; registration required.
See more Upcoming Events...
MARCH TO DOs
- Stop weeds before they start!
We recommend Dimension by Hi-Yield. Applying this weed pre-emergent now will prevent crabgrass & broadleaf weeds in all types of lawns for 6-8 weeks. Ask our staff about application rates and timing. We also have organic corn gluten as a pre-emergent for veggie gardens and other areas of your garden.
- Now's the time to fertilize fescue lawns. Ferti-lome Classic Lawn Food now has slow release nitrogen, allowing it to slowly feed your lawn for up to 2 months with just one application!
- Looking for organic and nature friendly options for your lawn? We carry corn gluten from St. Gabriel Laboratories, which is a weed pre-emergent. Hand pulling is good exercise and probably your best bet for organic post-emergent weed control. Now is the time to use organic fertilizers on trees and shrubs and lawns. Let us help you select Holly-tone and Plant-tone and Rose-tone for your needs.
- New sweet and tender green growth is emerging on all our plants and for critters like deer and rabbits, that's an all-you-can-eat buffet! Luckily we have a great selection of imustgarden natural animal repellents that work great at discouraging animal foraging. All imustgarden products are made with natural ingredients right here in North Carolina!
- Continue clean up work in the garden.
Make this a once a week practice. Pick up spent blooms from camellias and clean or remove old debris from last year. Clean up any broken or damaged limbs and branches. Keeping things clean in the garden not only looks better, but helps discourage pests and diseases. Also remember the Four D's rule of thumb for pruning ~ you can prune damaged, dead, dying, or diseased wood anytime.
- Keep feeding the birds. Our Cole's Bird Seed Blends are in good supply! If you're having trouble with squirrels we have squirrel-proof feeders and Cole's Hot Meats to keep them from eating your seed.
- Plan for Spring!
It's easy to pick up a cart full of beauties and head home to plant, but make sure you know what to expect from your plants once they are installed. Let our staff help you choose the right plants for the right place, or schedule a landscape consultation with Nelsa. Also see our planting guide for tips.
- Our famous bulk organic compost is in and going into many gardens for 100% success!
- Getting ready to plant our potatoes and other cool season veggies we have here at the Hut. Four flavors of seed potatoes: Yukon Gold, Kennebec, Red Lasota, and Red Pontiac.
We have found more local growers with greater varieties to serve your needs and help you with successful gardening. Lots of USA-made, quality products too.
Meet our staff; we are so excited to serve and have you as our customer!
We deliver.... Plant on!
Nelsa & the Gang at The Garden Hut
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm (open until 6pm starting March 10th) | Sat 9am-5pm
Sundays 12-4pm starting March 2nd
See more on facebook anytime!